“Do Chromebooks have a camera and are they good enough for video conferencing at work?”
Thanks to the ongoing pandemic, this has been a very common question. Since the majority of people are forced to work from home, it’s understandable why there is a surge of Chromebook purchases. I mean, who wouldn’t be enticed?
Recent Chromebook models have gone a lot better than their predecessors. Most Chromebooks today come with a touchscreen display, a multi-core processor, a decent amount of RAM, and most importantly, the capability to be used as a work/study laptop.
Do Chromebooks have a Camera?
Short answer, yes – as long as you purchased yours in the last 5-6 years. Most Chromebooks that came out around that time are equipped with at least a 720p (HD) webcam and a touchscreen display.
If you’re wondering if your Chromebook has a built-in camera, one dead giveaway is looking at the top of your screen. See that circle in the middle? That’s probably it. Another way of checking is opening the Camera App on your desktop or app drawer.
If your Camera app is not showing a feed, it’s either your webcam needs to be configured, or it’s broken.
Not all Chromebook Cameras are the same
Since 2020, video calling and conferencing is one of the most common activities that people engage in. While most Chromebooks are already equipped with webcams, your mileage will vary depending on your price range.
The rule of thumb when it comes to Chromebooks is the more money you shell out, the better specs you get. However, are you willing to pay a premium for Chrome OS? If you are, then we highly recommend these options:
Google PixelBook Go
- Pixelbook Go lets you stay unplugged for up to 12 hours, so you don’t need to carry a charger; when you do need a charge, get up to 2 hours of battery use in just 20 minutes so you can keep going 
- Lightweight Chromebook laptop that’s barely 2 pounds and 13 mm thin with a grippable design, making it easier to carry
- Protects your data, passwords, and information with the Titan C security chip and built-in antivirus software; Chrome OS updates automatically to give you the latest features and security 
- Starts up in seconds so it’s always ready when you are; the 8th Gen Intel Core Processor is quick and responsive, powering everything you do
- Pixelbook Go is a quiet and comfortable laptop with a backlit keyboard, ultra quiet keys, and a spacious touchpad that only needs a light touch
We recommend the PixelBook Go as they have the best price-to-performance ratio. This Chromebook is capable of delivering a smooth computing experience thanks to its great hardware.
Google Pixel Slate
- Keyboard and Pen/Stylus are sold separately
- Google Pixel Slate is made to deliver brilliant entertainment, portable performance and everything you love about Google for how you live & work today
- THOUGHTFULLY DESIGNED: Full size back lit keyboard with ultra quiet Hush Keys
- INFINITELY ADJUSTABLE: Switch between laptop, entertainment, and tablet mods with ease
- A STROKE OF GENIUS: The smart, responsive pen for your Google Pixelbook and Google Pixel Slate
Choose Google Pixel Slate if you’re planning to use your Chromebook more than just a laptop. Since this device can be in tablet form, you can expect crisp and clear photo and video quality from this device.
For the Budget-Conscious
If you’re not willing to shell out 500 bucks, then you’d probably want a cheaper alternative… as long as you’re willing to lose a USB port. Here are our recommendations:
NEXIGO Angetube 920H Pro
- Webcam 1080P 60fps: Angetube 920H PRO webcam with 120° ultra wide angle lens captures high definition image and video at 1080p/60fps. Perfect for streaming on social media and gaming such as ZOOM,Skype,Microsoft Teams,Amazon Chime,WebEx, BlueJeans and more.Delivery stunning videos on the move or even in low lighting conditions without lag.
- 120 degree manual focus Web camera: With 8-layers glass lens captures sharp, clear images. Ultra wide angle view manual focus lens, without optical distortion.Great choice for webinars,video conference and presentations.Such as ZOOM,Skype,Microsoft Teams,Amazon Chime,WebEx, BlueJeans and more.
- 360-Degree Swivel clip tripod hole ready: Thanks to the flexible and user-friendly design allows you to fix the Angetube web cam at any angle as you want. It only takes 1 second to set up the vertical screen live broadcast or demonstrate your keyboard and technique in live game play.Even good choice for calligraphy teaching and product display on social networks.You can adjust the zoom in/out and mirroring in webcam setting.
- Dual Analog Noise Reduction Microphones: Webcam built-in dual analog microphones and audio processing chip to make the sound crystal clear and filter out background noise. Perfect for streaming, conference, video chatting, webinars, gaming, remote learning and more.Angetube webcame support background replacement during live cast or video calling with Chromacam,powered by personify.
- USB Plug and Play: Works in UVC(USB Video Device Class) mode with plug and play USB connectivity. Perfect for streaming on social media and gaming such as OBS,Twitch, YouTube, Facebook, Xbox one or any video-calling clients.
The Angetube 920H Pro is one of the bestselling webcams on Amazon – and for a good reason. Think of this as a “poor man’s C922,” because it has the hardware to go toe-to-toe with an established brand.
Logitech C922x Pro
- Web camera specifically designed and optimized for professional quality video streaming on social gaming and entertainment sites like Twitch and YouTube
- Stream and record vibrant, true to life HD 1080P video at 30Fps/ 720P at 60FPS. Compatibility Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 10, macOS X 10.9 or higher, XBox One, Chrome OS, Android v5.0 or above, USB port. FoV: 78 degree
- Full HD glass lens and premium autofocus deliver razor sharp, clear video in consistent high definition while 2 built in mics capture your voice in rich stereo audio
- Record clear videos even in dim or poorly backlit settings with automatic light correction. Cable length: 5 feet
- 1 - year limited warranty
When it comes to computer peripherals, Logitech doesn’t need any introductions. The C922x Pro is the latest bang-for-the-buck webcam for Chrome OS. This 1080p camera offers clear and crisp images consistently.
Do Chromebooks have a camera that’s versatile enough for high-quality video while on the go? We have one suggestion for you:
Logitech BRIO 4K Webcam
- Up to 4K Ultra HD Recording - 1080p FHD Video Calling @ 60 FPS
- RightLight 3 with HDR - 90-Degree Field of View
- 5x Digital Zoom - Infrared Sensor Technology
- Privacy Shutter - Clip and Tripod Mount Included
- Windows, Mac, and Chrome Compatible
The BRIO 4K webcam is a great camera as long as you’re willing to pay 200 bucks. Yup, this peripheral is almost the cost of an entry-level Chromebook. However, if you’re looking for the next best thing to using Mirrorless or DSLR cameras as webcams, then the BRIO 4K won’t disappoint.
We can’t recommend subpar 4K webcams as you’re better off with legitimate 1080p (Full HD) cameras. Remember that resolution is not everything. Sometimes the one with a better sensor can produce more beautiful imagery.
Also see: The Best Chromebook for Drawing
Do Chromebooks have a camera that’s suitable for everyday needs? Yes, and most consumers are happy with the mediocre quality that it offers – especially when you consider how much they bought it for.
If the nature of your job requires you to have a better video quality, then you can either choose the luxurious route or the practical one. Either way, you will get the result that you need. We hope we made your choice easier for you!
For more Chromebook-related content, be sure to check these out
- Five Amazing Printers Compatible with Chromebooks this 2021
- 5 Best Free Video Editors for Chromebook
- How to Powerwash a Chromebook
Last update on 2021-06-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API