We’re at it again, folks. This time, we’re looking at Microsoft and Google: Chromebook vs Surface Pro. Since a lot of people are on the Chromebook hype-train, we’d like to see if you get your money’s worth with Chrome OS.
Let’s see how the Pixelbook fares against Microsoft’s very own Surface Pro 7. For this head-to-head, we’ve come up with categories that the two laptops can compete in. Then, we select the winner for each category. Finally, we tally up the numbers and give our final verdict.
By the end of this article, our goal is to help you decide which one is the better option for a laptop. Hopefully, we’ve covered enough ground to keep you informed.
Chromebook vs Surface Pro – Tale of the Tape
In our previous head-to-head matchup, we compared the Chromebook to the MacBook Air M1. This time, it’s Chromebook vs Surface Pro. Can the Chromebook redeem itself this time around, or will Microsoft further cement its legacy as one of the most used operating systems in the world? We’ll soon find out!
|TECH SPECS||Google Pixelbook||Microsoft Surface Pro 7|
|CPU||7th Gen Intel i5||10th Gen Intel i5|
|RAM||8GB RAM||8GB RAM|
|STORAGE||256GB Solid State Drive||256GB Solid State Drive|
|BATTERY||Up to 10 hours||Up to 10.5 hours|
|DISPLAY||12.3” 2736 x 1824 3:2 Ratio||12.3” 2400 x 1600 16:10 Ratio|
|I/O PORTS||2x USB 3.0||1x USB-C, 1x USB-A|
|OS||Chrome OS||Windows 10|
Microsoft Surface Pro 7 – The New Surface Pro King
- Next gen, best in class laptop with the versatility of a studio and tablet, so you can type, touch, draw, write, work, and play more naturally
- Faster than surface pro 6, with a 10th gen intel core processor – redefining what’s possible in a thin and light computer.
- More ways to connect, with both usb c and usb a ports for connecting to displays, docking stations and more, as well as accessory charging
- Standout design that won't weigh you down — ultra slim and light surface pro 7 starts at just 1.70 pounds
- All day battery life upto 10.5 hours, Plus the ability to go from empty to full faster — about 80 percent in just over an hour
About Microsoft Surface Pro 7
The Surface Pro 7 is the newest addition to the Surface lineup. It is equipped with a 10th Gen Intel Core i5 processor, 8GB DDR4 SDRAM, 256GB SSD, and a beautiful 12.3” touch-screen display. If you’re looking for better specs, they also have i7 configurations with up to 16GB of RAM.
If you’re already comfortable with the Windows ecosystem, then it’s a no-brainer to consider the Surface Pro 7. Plus, the ability to both use it as a laptop or a tablet can give you better versatility when using this device. Most importantly, if portability is what you need, then you will love this device as it weighs only 1.70lbs!
Google Pixelbook – A Flagship Beast
- Meet Google Pixelbook, the high performance Chromebook. It’s the first laptop with the Google Assistant built in; Press the Google Assistant key on your keyboard or say "Ok Google" to get started. The Google Assistant is always ready to help
- Features 7th Gen Intel Core i5 processor, 8GB RAM and 256GB for storage. The long lasting battery delivers up to 10 hours of use and it’s fast charging so you can get 2 hours of use in 15 minutes
- 4 in 1 design adapts to whatever you’re doing with laptop, tablet, tent and entertainment modes. Access to favorite apps including Google Drive, Gmail, YouTube, Evernote, Slack, Infinite Painter, Lightroom, Roblox and many more
- Pixelbook's super thin and lightweight design measures 10.3 millimetre and weighs 2.45 pound. Features a 12.3 inch 360 degree touchscreen display, a sleek aluminum body, Corning Gorilla Glass and a backlit keyboard
- Powered by Chrome OS with automatic software updates so you’ll always have the latest virus protection. It starts up in less than 10 secs, stays fast throughout the day, and won’t slow down over time
About Google Pixelbook
If you want to experience the best that Chrome OS has to offer, then the Google Pixelbook is the one you’d want. This Chromebook comes equipped with an Intel i5 Processor, 8GB of RAM, 256GB of SSD, and a gorgeous 12.3” touchscreen display.
What makes the Pixelbook so appealing is its thin-and-light design. It’s only 10.33mm thick and it only weighs around 2.45lbs – perfect for college students or business people on the go.
Both laptops are thin-and-lite. However, The Surface Pro 7 took things to a different level. Compared to the Pixelbook (2.45lbs), this laptop only weighs 1.70lbs! When compared side by side, you can tell which one is newer.
For this one, I think the winner is pretty clear.
Winner: Surface Pro 7
While both are similarly identical in terms of processing power, RAM, and storage, the Surface Pro 7 comes with newer tech. Which means it’s faster and more power-efficient even when unplugged from the wall.
If newer is better, then we already have a winner for this category.
Winner: Surface Pro 7
The biggest issue with thin-and-light laptops is the variety of I/O ports – or lack thereof. Unfortunately, both these laptops suffer the same fate. On one hand, you get 2x USB 3.0, while on the other, you get 1x USB-C and 1x USB-A.
You can go with either of the two, but if USB-C is something that you need in life, then choose the Surface Pro 7. Otherwise, we think our decision is more suitable.
This is where the Chromebook vs Surface Pro 7 can be quite subjective. Pixelbook has a 16:10 aspect ratio, while the Surface Pro 7 has a 3:2 aspect ratio. When used purely for productivity, we love the screen real estate of the Surface Pro 7. On the other hand, when it comes to entertainment, having fewer black bars to worry about is a nice feature.
However, if color accuracy and touchscreen responsiveness are important to you, then we have a very clear winner for this category.
Winner: Surface Pro 7
As of 2021, Windows 10 is still the far more superior operating system when compared to Chrome OS. If you care about full production suites for creativity, Windows 10 will give you plenty of options. With Chrome OS, you would have to settle with very limited options.
If your day-to-day use solely revolves around Chrome and its extensions, then the Pixelbook is the more logical choice, right? The problem is, you can also do that on Windows, plus more! So, our winner is…
Winner: Surface Pro 7
When we put Chromebook vs Surface Pro head-to-head in the battery department, you might expect a clear winner. Surprisingly, we were expecting the Surface Pro 7 to blow out the competition since it comes with a newer chipset. We couldn’t be more wrong.
Both the Pixelbook and the Surface Pro 7 promises up to 10 hours of use (10.5 for Surface Pro 7). We wish that were true. The thing is, the 10-hour battery test was a mixture of modern standby and active use. In real-world scenarios, both of these laptops can provide up to 7 hours of use.
When it comes to value for money, Chromebooks are usually generous with freebies. If you buy a Pixelbook, it already comes free with a stylus pen. For Surface Pro 7, you have to shell out some cash to get the official Surface pen.
I think we already have a winner here.
If we’re basing our purchasing decision on price alone, then the Pixelbook takes the cake. The 40–50-dollar difference is more than enough for some people to settle. However, if you want more value for your money, we think you’re better off paying the extra cash to get the Surface Pro 7.
At the end of the day, it’s all about how much you’re willing to spend.
The Chromebook vs Surface Pro showdown wasn’t as exciting as we originally hoped. Google’s Pixelbook is arguably the best Chromebook in the market. Sadly, the best Chromebook is still outclassed by Windows.
The Surface Pro 7 is such a great option for people who are already using a Windows desktop or laptop at home. It gives users a new type of experience when using Windows 10. Plus, the gorgeous 12.3” display is perfect for entertainment and productivity.
While we love to recommend the Pixelbook because it’s slightly cheaper than the Surface Pro 7, the reality is you can do so much more on Windows 10, especially if you’re a professional. At the moment, Chrome OS is a very niche market and it doesn’t have a lot of things to offer, but we’re still rooting for them to do better in the future.
What do you think of the outcome of the Chromebook vs Surface Pro 7? Were you expecting straight-up murder, or were you hoping for some neck-in-neck action? We thought the Pixelbook can bring something into the mix, but Chrome OS’s limitations made it very easy for us.
Looking forward to more head-to-head product showdowns? Let us know in the comments which product you want to see next. We might just feature it. Otherwise, be sure to check out our other articles like the ones listed below.
- Best External Hard Drive for Chromebooks
- Best Chromebook for Elementary Students
- Screen Mirroring Android to PC
Last update on 2021-09-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API