YouTube has recently upped its ante in terms of placing ads on its video platform. This is probably one of the reasons you’re trying to figure out how to block YouTube ads on Safari browser, right?
Well, you’re not the only one who’s annoyed by watching back-to-back non-skippable ads. In this guide, we’re going to teach you how to get past the dreaded ad-wall that hinders our binge-watching experience. Don’t worry, it’s not very difficult to do and you don’t have to be tech-savvy to get it working.
But first, let’s understand how adblockers work, shall we?
How Adblockers work
The main reason Safari’s built-in adblocker is limited to websites is because it doesn’t go through the same process as traditional browser extensions do. This is why if you want to know how to block YouTube ads on Safari browser, you will have to rely on third-party extensions.
But how do they work, exactly?
Here’s how it works
When you click on a link, whether from YouTube or a random website, your adblocker would check the data that is being executed.
Once the data has been rendered, the next process would be to cross-reference the data by filtering and blocking ads and unwanted processes in the process.
All that is left is an ad-free website that’s free from user-tracked data.
Three of the Best Extensions for Blocking YouTube Ads on Safari
AdGuard for Safari
AdGuard for Safari is arguably the most popular adblocker for macOS, and there’s a good reason why. It’s one of the few adblockers that actually adheres to Safari extension rules, so your data is guaranteed to be safe and secured.
Another added bonus for Adguard users is its ability to learn how to block YouTube ads on Safari browser with ease. Say goodbye to annoying 2-part ads on every monetized video watch starting today.
How it works
- Download and install the Adguard extension on the App Store.
- Click “Open preferences” and look for “Adguard Safari Icon” and “Adguard.” Once found, check the boxes and close.
- Search AdGuard on Spotlight to fine-tune your settings and adblocker preferences.
Ghostery Lite is a more robust privacy extension with capabilities to block specific categories of trackers. This is very ideal for users who want to minimize their digital footprint. This app is fast, simple and safe: all you need is to install the app and let the extension do its magic.
Just like the other extensions mentioned in this article, Ghostery Lite complies with Apple’s new privacy ecosystem to make your browsing experience more protected than ever. Learn how to block YouTube ads on Safari browser with this extension.
How it works
- Go to the App Store and download Ghostery Lite.
- Once the extension is installed, you should see it on your extension toolbar. If not, search for Ghostery using Spotlight.
- Click on the Ghostery icon to access its settings and features.
- Fine-tune your privacy and trackers to fully maximize your browsing experience.
Adblock Plus for Safari
Adblock Plus is a free ad blocker that’s available in multiple browsers. I personally use this extension on my Chrome browser because of how easy and effective it is. If you want to allow a certain website to enable ads, you can do so with just a few clicks.
The only catch is that it can’t get rid of all the ads, as it adheres to Acceptable Ad policy, which basically means this extension will still allow non-intrusive ads from popping up. Ads like the ones found on our website are example of acceptable ads. However, if all you’re after is how to block ads on YouTube on Safari browser, then this is more than enough to get the job done.
How it works
- Install Adblock Plus for Safari ABP on the App Store.
- Open the app and click enable Adblocker in Safari.
- Select your preferred checkboxes to fully customize your browsing experience.
- Select the checkboxes next to AdBlock Icon and AdBlock engine before closing.
- Open Adblock Plus for Safari ABP via the Spotlight if you want to edit your settings. Alternatively, you can find the AdBlock icon on your extension toolbar for quicker access.
Summary – Are Adblockers Necessary?
There is an ethical dilemma when it comes to blocking ads. On one hand, it’s giving you the convenience of binge-watching your favorite YouTube videos. On the other hand, it can have a negative impact on the content creator’s ad revenue.
Most vloggers and content creators rely on ads especially when they don’t have a big sponsor yet. Learning how to block YouTube ads on Safari browser can really shave off some of that “YouTube money.” So, if you want to support a channel, then be sure to turn off your adblocker.
It’s as simple as that.
For more tips and tricks, be sure to check out our how-to guides